I have been dutifully knitting away on a pattern design and recently I couldn’t ignore its faults any longer. It was time to unravel.
I intended this to be a cape-style wrap that was knitted from the top down. I carefully calculated all the increases so that it would have an asymmetric edge and sit snugly around my shoulders.
After the last round of increases I slipped all the stitches onto a long thread of cotton yarn and tried it on for size. It fitted and I was very pleased with myself and my maths! So I commenced the slog of 18 inches of stocking stitch in grey yarn.
I tried it on AGAIN before I started the bottom border and it was all looking good. So I switched to my contrast colour and it was nearly done! There was a long, looooong i-cord bind off and I tried it on one last time then blocked it.
Then, because for some reason all my maths and all my checking had LIED, when I tried it on with the buttons sewn on it would not sit right. I replaced buttons, I sewed them on in different spots and even re-blocked one edge. Nothing helped.
The only thing to do was rip out all the work from the top half. I couldn’t face the idea of re-knitting the bottom with those long rows of sticking stitch, so I put in a life line just after the increases finished.
Praying that I had caught each and every stitch I got my sharpest scissors and chopped off the top of the cape and unravelled it.
Now all I have to do is hope like anything that my notes about stitch counts are correct, the plan is to re-work the top and graft the two pieces together.
Wish me luck!