I wanted to share a few photos of my first successfully plied yarn. It’s 100% NZ merino wool in a colour which I don’t normally use, but I wanted to try out plying without the stress of potentially wrecking a multi-hour-well-spun fibre. Here is the spun yarn spread over two bobbins. These are each about 150yds of fairly consistent lace-weight singles.
I made a 2-ply yarn and managed to cram the whole lot onto one bobbin, so there are no joins or knots.
After a warm bath and a thwack over the laundry sink I hung the skein to dry in my sun-room window. I love watching it get fluffier and lighter as it dries in the breeze.
Tadaa! All wound into a tidy skein, ready to knit. If I am honest, it is badly over-plied. The wool didn’t bloom as much as I had hoped as it is too tightly spun. But it’s very pretty and I am thrilled that I managed to learn something new on my own! I’m sure once it’s knitted into something small for a child to wear it will be absolutely fine.